On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:48:28 +0100, Frank Pennycook <frank@pennycook.net> said:

> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 22:07, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * James Troup:
>>
>> > If anyone thinks that trying to decide technical issues through
>> > voting is a good idea, I pity them.
>>

> Surely it is not so much a technical issue as a policy issue? Since
> different opinions are being expressed, then in a democracy it would
> seem valid to decide it by voting.

	Debian, thank god, is not a democracy.  We do not decide on
 issues based on popularity (else we'd be distributing windows
 shareware). We make decisions based on technical merits, and
 principles we have agreed on (the sc).

	Decisions, for the most part, are taken by those who do the
 work (in flex, and fvwm, I have made decisions that are fairly
 unpopular with the user base, but, in my opinion, the correct
 ones). A developer has control over his or her package. The NM team
 decides to accept (or not) applicants -- but not through GR's. The
 DPL decides who should get funded for debconf -- in consultation
 with other people, but not via a vote.

	Yes, we occasionally vote on a few things. But a democracy we
 are not.

	manoj
--
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. Alan
Watts