Re: gcc-3.4 for amd64

* Daniel Burrows:

>   It also breaks C++ code that works with 3.3.  I got several patches
> from someone trying to compile aptitude using 3.4, and some other C++
> programs will likely be in the same boat.

3.4 has got a completely overhauled C++ parser, and the goal is to
issue errors for anything which isn't a C++ program (explicitly
documented extensions are allowed, of course).  Unfortunately, the old
parser was far mor lenient, so we some issues now.  BTW, the whole
thing isn't just an exercise in standards conformance, but 3.4 gives
really improved diagnostics for template code.

The C++ section of <http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html> is quite
complete with respect to the changes.  I hope that it is sufficient to
guard you through the language-related part of the transition.  If it
isn't, please complain.