Re: gcc-3.4 for amd64 (was: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 04:47:41PM +0200, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> was heard to say:
> On 2004-07-13 Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > Judging from conversation on debian-glibc, it sounds like AMD64 really
> > wants to use gcc 3.4, which is not tenable for sarge because it involves
> > an API change (see Matthias Klose's recent mail to debian-release and
> > debian-glibc). Can you explain how critical this is to the port?
> [...]
>
> I think I am missing something important. The main[2] issue against
> gcc-3.4 is that it breaks ABIs.

  It also breaks C++ code that works with 3.3.  I got several patches
from someone trying to compile aptitude using 3.4, and some other C++
programs will likely be in the same boat.

  Daniel

|            Whoever created the human body left in a fairly basic            |
|            design flaw.  It has a tendency to bend at the knees.            |
|              -- Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_                              |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/