Re: AMD64 for sarge [Re: <rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 05:19:35PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:25:12AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > Of the three points, I (as one of the folks involved with the BSD ports,
> > at least) am quite willing to grant that amd64 is worthy of special-case
> > treatment because of what it is, and where it's going.
>
> Do I really have to remind people that this was said of ia64, too?

Not really the same. The ia64 was revolutionary, but at the same time
offloaded some of the hard work to the compiler. amd64 is an evolution
of the x86, so it's much easier to migrate to.

Still, I don't know why ia64 hasn't worked out. I haven't heard of any
technical reason why it couldn't be mainstream. Seems that Intel/HP just
haven't bothered.

Hamish