Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:27:20AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Branden Robinson (branden@debian.org):
>
> > branden@necrotic:~$ grep xhackers /etc/group
> > xhackers:!:2000:branden,ishikawa,fabbione,jch,www-data,fenton,mdz,daenzer,mjg59,wt,rmh,dnusinow,bubulle,tretkowski
> >
> > (www-data doesn't count.)
> >
> > While it is true that only a fraction of these people actively use their
>
> I'm afraid I'm not among this fraction of active people, for xfree86
> packages....
>
> I still need to figure this out properly as you have (and I perfectly
> understand this) very precise rule for commits....lack of time, I'm
> afraid

If you mess up, I'll try to help you clean it up.  Most of the time I
expect it will be because I failed to document my expectations properly, so
don't worry too much about it.

> I could certainly help in sorting out l10n issues (debconf l10n at the
> minimum) if I can give some time to all this...:-)

If you're focusing on small-scale issues, I don't see how you can cause
all that much disruption.

What got me hacked off with Daniel Stone was:
1) his delegation of a significant package renaming decision to me,
   then revocation of that delegation (through a commit of his own
   approach) without warning less than a day later;
2) his quasi-hijack of the xfree86 package by uploading an NMU in violation
   of the NMU policy, without prior warning or consultation with anyone
   else[1], and without satisfying the published criteria for the package
   release

If you don't plan to behave as disruptively as the above, don't worry about
it.  Just do what you need and the rest of the group will help you figure
it out.  When in doubt, raise your plans to the mailing list first.  Not
taking people by surprise is a great way to earn trust.  :)

[1] ...that I've been able to determine from his public comments on the
    subject.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Good judgement comes from
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     experience; experience comes from