Re: Mozilla "PostScript/default" security problems

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 03:47:10PM +0200, Michael Piefel <piefel@debian.org> was heard to say:
> Am Do, den 08.07.2004 schrieb Ralph Aichinger um 14:38:
> > /ralph -- at least turn the "reccomends" for xprt-xprintorg into
> >           a depends, as a browser that does not print is not very
> >           useful.
>
> No, I don't think so. I browser's main task is to browse. I print about
> once every other month. There is certainly no dependency here. If you
> ignore a "recommends", it's your own decision, isn't it. Never ignore
> "recommends" unless you know what you're doing.

  Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy if you don't use
dselect...aptitude and some other apt frontends will select stuff that's
Recommended by new installs, but they won't detect new Recommends added
in an upgrade.  This is mainly because apt only lets you change the
policy of dependency handling for new installs (rather than applying the
policy to any dependency that didn't exist in the old package).

  Daniel

|           Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you              |
|           tied them the usual way.  This happens to us all the              |
|           time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.            |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/