Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:20:49PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > I'm not sure *my* comfort level is the first-order term in this equation.
> > >
> > > Quoting:
> > >
> > >     [...]
> > >
> > >     Daniel, disillusioned and disappoitned ex-'X Strike Force' member[1]

Artful dodge.

> > is it required to be 'x strike force' member for uploading xlibs?
>
> One normally doesn't hijack a package (or several of them) away from the
> current maintainer.

xfree86, it should be noted, is one package.

> The above does not apply, of course, to any parts of fd.o xlibs that aren't
> already in Deebian.

Which is limited to libx{proto-,}{fixes,damage,composite}.

> The above *does* apply even if a given upstream package changes its
> upstream source.  When the Xpm library was incorporated into XFree86
> upstream, I expressed my interest in maintaining its packages as part of
> XFree86 to the then-current maintainer.  AFAIR, he had no objection.

BTW, what you decided to do at a given time, isn't necessarily
Debian-blessed practice. Does Debian also bless uploading new major
versions and adding yourself to Uploaders, when the previous one has
been bitrotting in experimental for far too long?

> If Mr. Stone feels there are exigent circumstances at work here, he should
> say so.

Rather than going out and busting out phrases like 'exigent
circumstances' and saying as much as possible between the lines[0], would
you like to share exactly what you think about a maintainership group
for xlibs that includes myself?

[0]: Which tends to be a great ploy to later jump out from behind some
bushes and say 'WRONG! SUCK! I didn't say that!'.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org