Dan Weber, please stop filing RC bug reports without even minimal testing

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 01:51:45AM -0400, Dan Weber wrote:
> Anyhow, how does someone file a bug against all these packages at once.
>    All packages with this problem build-dep on gnustep-make.

Out of 26 of your bugs regarding this problem which were still open by
the time I got round to them on the release-critical bug list, I found a
full 19 to be completely invalid, and tagged them fixed accordingly. I
believe that Matthias Klose has also closed some of your bugs from this
mass-filing.

It is quite obvious that you didn't do even minimal testing before this
mass-filing. For every one of your bugs, I installed the package, looked
for a command in /usr/bin or /usr/games, then tried running that command
outside a GNUstep environment. Sometimes I also played around with the
program for a bit to make sure it wasn't totally insane outside a
GNUstep environment. In 19 of those cases, the package worked perfectly
well without any kind of helper program or need to manually source a
shell script or whatever. This was basic testing, and the bare minimum I
would expect from somebody reporting over two dozen RC bugs. It appears
that you didn't bother. If you somehow did, then you should have
provided more detail about the problem; your bug reports were clearly
all created from the same template, and contained no other useful
information.

This episode wasted an hour of my time that I could and would have spent
doing something more productive. I'm sure it also wasted the time of
quite a number of other people, as it made it more difficult to see what
was important on the release-critical bug list. Next time you
contemplate mass-filing bugs, especially at high severities, remember
that the BTS is a project resource, and that it is your job to use it
responsibly, not other people's job to clean up after you.