Re: Official position on POSIX compliance?

Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> writes:

> I am not a developer. However, currently I am preparing a package and
> do some random bug fixing. At some point that brought me across the
> issue of POSIX compliance. Even though I've got the impression (from

Providing a POSIX compliant environment is a good thing.

> which should be supported by POSIX-compliant utilities [0]. There is quite
> a lot of maintainer scripts out there, which require minor modifications
> to make them POSIX-compliant. Most frequently encountered cases are:

But demanding that every part of Debian-internals (as maintainer
scrips are) works on a strict POSIX compliant system is not
necessarily a good thing.

As long coreutils is the only implementation of many posix tools in
Debian I don't think that *use* of coreutil-specific features is a bug
of more than at most minor severity.

--
 Peter Makholm     |    Yes, you can fight it, but in the end the ultimate
 peter@makholm.net |                           goal of life is to have fun