Re: Same files in two packages - under which conditions is this allowed?

On 03-Jul-04, 04:36 (CDT), Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> we sometimes have problems on upgrade that files were moved from one
> package to another, and somebody forgot to set a "replaces" for this.

We call that a "bug", and it should be reported and fixed.

> My question is now: Under which condition may package A in sarge
> contain a file that another package B had in woody?
>
> The following possibilities come to my mind:
> 1. A replaces B.
> 2. Some of the conflicts are ok. So, e.g. exim4-daemon-heavy has the
> same file as postfix (/usr/sbin/sendmail), and that's not a problem.

Right.

> But, are only versioned conflicts not enough? Or what requirements
> does the conflict need to fullfil for this to work? Can somebody help
> me here?

Not really sure what problem you are trying to solve. You've enumerated
the two choices (Replaces, if packages are cooperating upgrades or
some such, or Conflicts, if not.) Whether it can be versioned or not
depends on the exact situation. Since the virtual package m-t-a requires
/usr/sbin/sendmail, anything that provides m-t-a has to conflict with
m-t-a.

Oh, there's one other situation: package B can dpkg-divert the
conflicting file from A. Again, that's only appropriate when B is some
superset of A, say with a variant version (SElinux enabled, say) of some
file.

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net