Re: Same files in two packages - under which conditions is this allowed?

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> we sometimes have problems on upgrade that files were moved from one
> package to another, and somebody forgot to set a "replaces" for this.
>
> My question is now: Under which condition may package A in sarge
> contain a file that another package B had in woody?
>
> The following possibilities come to my mind:
> 1. A replaces B.
> 2. Some of the conflicts are ok. So, e.g. exim4-daemon-heavy has the
> same file as postfix (/usr/sbin/sendmail), and that's not a problem.
> But, are only versioned conflicts not enough? Or what requirements
> does the conflict need to fullfil for this to work? Can somebody help
> me here?

As long as it is impossible to install both packages at the same time
it's ok.

A versioned conflicts is ok when the conflict only exists in earlier or
later versions of a package. E.g. a file moves from foo to
foo-common. foo-common then conflicts with foo (<<
first-moved-version).

MfG
        Goswin