Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 01:42:43AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Fonts and docs are a clear decision: the monolithic tree is the only
> provider of these. Despite best intentions (and efforts), most apps are
> still only available in the monolithic tree.

As best I can recall, it shouldn't be too much trouble to prepare a
hacked up monolithic tree that doesn't build the X servers or libraries.
I.e. client, fonts, and docs only.

XTerm, at least, should be made independent in any event.  I think you
were saying that as well.

> One example here is the DRI tree (now merged into X.Org), which now has
> i915 support. A chipset that hasn't even been released.
> If this were the modular tree, I could package it up in half an hour
> (if that), and upload it, and wham, we'd be supporting this stuff
> before it hit the market. Contrast this with i845 (which I still
> regard as a huge personal failure), where we took over a year after
> one of the most popular integrated cards came on to the market and
> flooded in through Dell and other major cheap-PC makers, to even have
> support in experimental.

You may wish to consider it evidence of a perverse and cruel God, then,
that in reward for your justified pride in getting i915 support into the
codebase before the chipset is released, Intel recalls it from the
marketplace[1].

My condolences.

> However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
> it not existing.

Thanks for the most quotable statement of the thread.  :)

> Thus, my short-term proposal is:
> 	* Libraries: fd.o, from /cvs/xlibs, according to
> 	  http://people.debian.org/~daniels/xlibs.html.
> 	* Server: X.Org, built from the monolithic tree.
> 	* Apps: Mix of monolithic and some broken-out apps - gradual
> 	  migration towards modular.

I think the migration should be driven by the phenomenon of people
popping up to actually maintain such projects.  I get the feeling a lot
of the old SI clients aren't going to get much love at all.  (For a few,
like xmh, this is not really a loss, and I'd argue that one should be
shut off and discarded at the source -- if it hasn't already been.)

> If we continue to have a single monolithic 'xorg' source package, we can
> keep working from this, while in parallel working upstream on the
> modularisation efforts. This provides a good solution to the problem of
> slowly-drifting X implementations (the libraries are particularly
> worrying), and also alleviates our workload, as we can start merging
> some of our hundreds of thousands of lines of patches into the parts
> we've modularised.
>
> This means that we can disable app building one-by-one, get rid of the
> fonts, docs, et al, and eventually also the server.
>
> I am willing to expend significant work on this; indeed, I'm in the
> middle of my rejuvinated xlibs work, and am prepared to put in the work
> to disable the libs on the server side - all the packaging work that
> would be needed to transition to using fd.o xlibs.

Sounds reasonable.  Do you have plans to co-maintain debrix and xlibs
with anyone?

[1] http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2004/06/25/ap1434368.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas