Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:51:03PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 14:38, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > * Nathanael Nerode (neroden@twcny.rr.com) [040615 21:27]:
> > > I request that the people planning to take over kernel maintenance comment
> > > ASAP on their plans regarding this issue, and what sort of help would be
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > would it be ok if they hand in their humble suggestions at your
> > front desk in written form? or would you rather want them to
> > report to you in person?
> >
> > hint: your tone is not appropriet and you are not the one to
> > order them around.
> Then who is? This problem has been known about for a long time, and a
> lot of developers would like to see some progress on it. No one should
> *need* to order Debian developers to follow copyright law in their
> Debian work; it should be the default. Plus, I'd rather Nathanael do it
> than the US government. (I also found his tone civil, if curt.)
> It's not even a request to remove it, just one asking for some
> indication on what kind of schedule or plans are going on, and *an offer
> for help*.

The correct thing to do was what I did -- contact the USB maintainer, who
was previously unaware of this problem:

<gregkh> willy: cool, I got back a response with an email from emagic giving the blessing to include the drivers in linux.
<gregkh> willy: just looks like I need to add the following:
<gregkh> Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
<gregkh>         image as part of a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel
<gregkh>         in text or binary form as required.
<gregkh> as the keyspan drivers have.

So, problem resolved.  No need to remove anything.