Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 12:57:15PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I ask because such a file is present in Debian's Linux kernel sources and
> there seems to have been no attempt to remove it, despite the upload of
> new versions since the bug report.
>
> drivers/usb/misc/emi26_fw.h:
>
>  * The firmware contained herein is Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Emagic
>  * as an unpublished work. This notice does not imply unrestricted
>  * or public access to this firmware which is a trade secret of Emagic,
>  * and which may not be reproduced, used, sold or transferred to
>  * any third party without Emagic's written consent. All Rights Reserved.
>
> This is the subject of bug #242895, which was (incorrectly) merged with
> other bugs.

I would think you would be better off asking on debian-legal rather than
here.  My non-lawyerly opinion is that since it's factually incorrect
(it has been published, it is not a trade secret), these are probably
incompetent people who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, let
alone a lawsuit.