Re: libpkg-guide updated (versioned symbols), please proofread

Le sam 12/06/2004 à 20:19, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> While it's definitely important to push changes such as symbol
> versioning upstream, it should be noted that Debian-specific symbol
> versions do not prevent you from taking binaries built elsewhere and
> running them on Debian systems.  They do prevent you from taking
> binaries built on Debian and running them elsewhere; but given that
> failing to use versioned symbols frequently causes binaries built on
> Debian to not run on *Debian*, I believe this is the lesser of two
> evils.

Actually, this is wrong. Recent versions of ld-linux.so.2 only display a
warning when some symbols require a version that doesn't exist. If you
build a binary on Debian and link it to a library that has
Debian-specific versioned symbols, it will run on a non-Debian system,
provided that this system doesn't tag the same symbols with a different
version.