Re: [Fwd: New Bitstream technology comes to Linux and Desktop/LX]

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:16:40PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

 > > Point the second: There seems to be an ever accelerating interest
 > > in the proprietary section toward incorporating free/open source
 > > software into "hybrid" environments. This has a double implication
 > > for me - (1) Proprietary vendors wanting to incorporate FOSS to
 > > extend and enhance marketability of their product/s.
 >
 > I'm unhappy that a Linux vendor is putting nonfree software at the
 > core of their distribution.  However, won't this library be
 > impossible to link with [L]GPL code, making it illegal to distribute
 > software built against it, such as libpango and the whole of GNOME
 > and KDE?

 You are right, except for the "this library" bit.  It's likely a module
 for the XFree4 X-Server.  That means the client sends an X-request (via
 pango or something else) to the X-Server and the module handles it.
 There's no linking.  It's just a client using a server, and that's not
 covered by the GPL.

--
Marcelo