Re: 3ware driver

Tom T Tran dijo [Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:57:13AM -0700]:
> Hi,
>
> I am a technical support engineer for Amcc (formerly 3ware). We just released new SATA raid
> controllers.
> .
> Our previous controllers, the 7000/8000 series driver is embedded in the kernel but the driver
> for the new 9500 series is not.
>
> Can we send you the driver source to be included in the debian floppy disk images or
> cd images ?  We have the driver source for 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels.

Hi,

First of all, thanks a lot for the offer! I am very glad that hardware
manufacturers are realizing the importance of making their drivers
available for the Free Software community, for which a simple freely
redistributable binary is by no means enough.

A very important point for this: You are offering to send us the
sources for your code, which is by itself great. Now, under which
license will that code be released? I hope it is under the GPL or, at
least, with a license compatible with it (i.e., that has no
requirement outside those of the GPL), in order for us to be able to
include it.

As a sidenote, I would like to ask you: Why are you approaching a
specific (or many separate) Linux distributions, instead of submitting
the module for the inclusion in the Linux kernel? I assume you are
aware that, in order to include it in most distributions (and
certainly in Debian), the module should be thoroughly tested in order
to ensure it does not destabilize the system and performs reliably
enough.

Now, of course, you surely want to know a specific person to
contact. The Linux kernel in Debian is now under the maintenance of a
group [1, 2]. There is a mailing list devoted for the kernel in Debian
[3]. I suggest you to write to that list.

Greetings, and once again, thank you very much!

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/05/msg01441.html

[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/86923/

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/,
    debian-kernel@lists.debian.org