Re: Managing packages with GNU arch

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 04:33:12PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> I'm interested in managing my packages with GNU Arch.
>
> I've seen many approaches so far:
>
> 1/ - having an upstream branch where you store the content of
>    the orig tarball
>    - having an debian branch from the upstream one which adds
>    the debian directory
>
> 2/ - storing the upstream tarball and the debian directory
>    separately within different categories and gatthering
>    everything by the means of a config spec.
>
> I know there are tla-buildpackage and arch-buildpackage, but
> I don't have time to get much details about both programs.
> AFAIK, tla-buildpackage seems to perform 1/ and
> arch-buildpackage seems to work like 2/

tla-buildpackage does not store an upstream tarball at all.  It has an
upstream branch that represents the orig.tar.gz and a debian branch that
has the debian/ dir and other local patches.  It has various utilities
to help manage these (for instance, tbp-importdsc can take a source
package and populate both branches).

Managing the tar.gz is up to the user.

-- John