Re: Lost Trust

else@austin.rr.com wrote:
>I'm a recent convert to debian at home and I was considering switching
>to it for development at work.

A working patch existed to remove the non-free parts of the driver while
keeping the driver.

The maintainer at the time preferred to remove the driver entirely, because he
was not happy with the patch.

Now, an even better patch exists and has (finally) made it in.

>I've been tracking sarge weeklies with
>jigdo and lost my network device when the tg3 network driver was
>removed without warning.
>
>I have to say I'm very disappointed.  I had this implicit trust that
>releases would get progressively better.  On my part, I would test
>them and if anything broke, I would help debug it.
First of all, sarge isn't a release at the moment.  It is certainly not
guaranteed that 'testing' will get progressively better.

Secondly, making Debian 'better' does involve removing functionality sometimes
(though not in this case), rather than keeping around buggy, unsupportable,
unmaintainable stuff.

>The lists don't offer any consolation - I now see it was deleted because
>a patch to fix broken hardware was not offered in source form.  Right.
You did read the Social Contract, didn't you?