Re: Lost Trust

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 06:26:01PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst scribbled:
> Op ma 31-05-2004, om 18:01 schreef Marek Habersack:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 11:15:51AM -0300, Brian Nelson scribbled:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > How does removing firmware "help" free software?
> > I guess it promotes learning -
>
> Not that it is a bad thing to urge people to learn, but how is that an
> answer to the above question?
Question was "How does removing firmware "help" free software?", let me
present my reasoning which led to the answer:

1. Removed firmware/driver makes the machine unusable for a user
2. The user is desperate to get the hardware working on debian
3. The user asks on debian-devel or debian-user and is lectured about the
   free software and how good it is for it to remove the driver that he was
   using for his hardware
4. The user happens to agree with the assesment that it's a good thing for
   him, but is still desperate to make it work on debian
5. The user is told that s/he can compile a new kernel for them and make the
   hardware work that way
6. The user is told about kernel-package and make menuconfig
7. The user downloads the kernel source from ftp.kernel.org and follows the
   directions of how to use the two pieces of software mentioned in #6
8. At the end of the process the user:

    - knows more about the linux kernel
    - knows how to use the valuable piece of debian, kernel-package
    - is aware of the issues related to kernel configuration
    - is happy, because his hardware works again with his debian

Thus, I think what I wrote answers the question of "how does removing
firmware help free software"

as a side note - I was being ironic,

have fun,

marek