Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 12:32:35AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I believe this proposal introduces ambiguity that 2004_003 was meant to
> resolve, by using the term "software". 2004_003 specifically amended
> clause 1 of the social contract to remove the term software because it
> is (apparently) ambiguous. Thus the following would be better:

It introduces some ambiguities, but not that ambiguity.

2004_003 says that the Debian Free Software Guidelines are used to judge
all copyrighted works.  Since the DFSG doesn't give any guidelines for
things which are not software, this implies that everything copyrightable
which we distribute is now being judged as software regardless of any
ambiguity in what "software" really is.

The ambiguities it introduces have to do with "not compromising on
freedom".

--
Raul