Re: debian package for qdu

(copied to debian-devel from a discussion in private mail -- see below.)

* Gilles.Debunne@imag.fr (Gilles.Debunne@imag.fr) [040522 10:00]:
> Quoting Vineet Kumar <vineet@doorstop.net>:
>
> > Hello Gilles,
> >
> > My name is Vineet Kumar, and I'm interested in building a Debian package
> > of qdu for inclusion in the main Debian distribution.  I'm writing to
> > see if you're interested in qdu being included in Debian and also if
> > you're aware of any work already being done, so that I don't end up
> > duplicating someone else's efforts.
> Good idea. I don't have a Debian, and that's why there is no such
> package. But I'd be glad to help you creating one.

Excellent!  I've attached the diff for the work I've done so far.  This
is a working version of the package with which I have built and tested
my own package, but it has not been made available in a general way to
the public yet.  My next step will be to have an existing Debian
developer review my package and, if it is found to meet certain standards of
quality, upload it to the Debian repository.  (This step is required
because I am not an official Debian developer; only a Debian developer
can add a package to the distribution.)

> By the way, do you know if I can create Debian packages (for other
> softwares I release) without a debian distribution ?

I'm afraid I don't have the best answer for this.  Of course, all of the
debian developers' scripts and tools are free software, so it's
definitely possible, but I don't know how easy it will be.  Perhaps the
best way would be to partner with a debian developer to create the
necessary packaging files, like what I am providing for qdu, and to get
the software available as part of the Debian distribution.  Otherwise,
if you're not interested in going through all of that process for your
other projects, I can give you an account on one of my Debian machines
to build on.

I'll forward this discussion to the debian-devel mailing list as well to
see if anyone there has a better answer.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/