Re: [Mailer-Daemon@merkel.debian.org: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]

Hi Andreas!

You wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 03:15:07PM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > Could anyone *please* fix this?  Debian should not send bounces to
> > forged addresses.  Not only is it very annoying, it also the debian
> > servers listed in all kinds of DNS blacklists.
> >
> > I guess the easiest way would be to _only_ accept mail on master,
>
> s/master/murphy/ - lists.d.o is hosted at murphy.

Yeah.  This mail acually was sent to qa.d.o, for which mail is indeed
handled by master.

The problem seems to be though, that the different hosts have different
policies for incoming mail, so when mail is sent to another host, and
that hosts rejects it, it is bounced to the forged address.
Would there be some way to sync these policies?  Maybe by having one
single hosts handle all incoming mails?

> > which can instantly process it and simply reject it in the SMTP session
> [...]
>
> master runs exim v3 which iirc cannot do checks against the message body
> at smtp-time, i.e. without generating a bounce.
>               cu andreas

Well, that's a good reason to upgrade to to exim4, then.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |