Re: Right way for calculating versioned dependencies?

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:09:24PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:16:40PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:02:48PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> >
> > > I've got a package that I want to declare a version dependency on another
> > > package.
> > >
> > > Currently the Depends: line is just ${shlibs:Depends}, and this is adding
> > > unversioned dependencies fine, but for at least two of the packages it's
> > > calculating I want to include a version number.
> >
> > Why?  If the shlibs information is correct, ${shlibs:Depends} will be
> > correct.  If the shlibs information is not correct, that should be fixed in
> > the library package.
>
> Hmm. What about this case? Package P is linked against library
> package L. L has a bug which is fixed starting at a certain version, but
> doesn't require an ABI change.
>
> Since L doesn't change its ABI, does it need to change its shlibs?
> Yet P might want to specify that it requires a certain version of L.
>
> Depends: ${shlib:Depends}, L (>= blah)
>
> results in duplicate dependencies, which lintian says is bad. (I'm not
> sure why it's bad though.)

It isn't really too bad, just a bit not-very-nice.

IMHO, some utility (dpkg-gencontrol?) should eliminate double
dependencies like this. (while at it, it should also allow newlines in
field for dependencies and such in debian/control, to improve
readability. The 'control' in the .deb should not have newlines in those
fields in order to break nothing).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar