Re: @debian.org email forwarding and SPF

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 03:58:08AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> I've had this discussion with Marco before, so I'll save you some time
> and summarise:
>
> SPF is not designed to solve the spam problem. It will not solve the
> spam problem.
>
> Some people have been touting SPF as a solution to spam (this *is* an
> application of the "solution in search of a problem" principle, more
> or less).
>
> Marco is ignoring all other applications of SPF, such as the ones it
> was designed for, and only paying attention to people proposing it as
> a solution to spam.

So you mean to say that if debian.org started publishing an SPF record, did
it's forwarding in the SPF-compliant manner, and I starting using SPF to
filter my mail, it wouldn't stop the flood of virii riddled emails I've
been getting lately from honey@d.o.? (Side note, it's really pissing me off,
the SA score is negative a reasonable number, so it's well and truly getting
through Spam Assassin).

I'm sure honey@d.o is not writing me these emails, and I certainly
constitute it as spam, and I would have thought that SPF would have
prevented this?

Andrew