Re: To epoch or not to epoch?

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:05:20AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I've seen references to aversion of epochs in this list in the past,

With no technical reason, only emotional ones.

> and so I was wondering what's best to do?

Technically, the best thing to do is to use an epoch, since, hey, this
is _exactly_ the kind of thing it was invented for.

The reason those people dislike epochs seems to be one of "It's ugly",
"It'll be something you'll have hanging on your package forever", and
similar things. I, however, think that having a package who's "upstream"
version differs from the real upstream is far more ugly than having an
epoch which is hidden from the user in most situations.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks