Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Michael Neuffer <neuffer@neuffer.info> writes:

> Quoting Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de):
>> Michael Neuffer <neuffer@neuffer.info> writes:
>> > For the next couple of years (hopefully not more then 10) we will
>> > definitely need the biarch AMD64 until all of the applications
>> > that people need will have migrated and the 32bit apps that people
>> > use will wither.
>>
>> SuSe and RH are not supporting 32bit amd64 above the very rudimentary
>> ability to run stuff. So there is a realy big community thats going to
>> push commercial programs to be 64bit.
>
> OK, lets do a reality check here:
> How much more then the ability to run 64bit "stuff" do we need ?
> I don't think we really need or want anything else. Any new development
> should be 64bit. We just want to make the migration path a smooth
> and painless as possible. Ideally it should be completely transparent
> to the _enduser_, but not necessarly for the admin as well. Those who
> wield the root should be expected to able to smooth a few rough edges.
>
> Cheers
>    Mike

Amd64 is the exception (and thus pure64 should be alowed in) but all
other (true) multiarch architectures want to run the smaller 32bit
flavour with the exception for programs that need the large address
space, like a big postgresql database.

One goal of amd64 multiarch was to solve sparc64, mips-N32, mips-N64,
ppc64, s390x (and ia64-32 presumably too) along the way in the same
manner. Don't forget that. But given that 32bit 3D games won't run on
amd64 (multiarch or pure64 + 32bit chroot) did somewhat lessen my
motivation to push for it.

MfG
        Goswin