Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:15:33AM +0200, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> as quickly as possible that currently keep the AMD64 port(s)
> from beeing added as ports and added to the Debian infrastructure
> (ftp server, autobuilders etc).
>
> We actually have TWO AMD64 ports:
>    bi-arch ie. can run 64 and 32 bit binaries
>    pure    ie. only runs 64 bit binaries

One coudl still set up a 32-bit chroot in a "pure64" environment.

> The thing is there is unfortunately a lot of legacy & commercial
> software around that people want/have to use that are not available
> in source and thus can not be ported to a native AMD64 port.

True, but OTOH there are plenty of Debianiers happily using other
platforms such as Alpha, PowerPC, and Sparc for which little commercial
software is available on Linux.  I am among them, having been an Alpha
user since 1998 or so.

> For the next couple of years (hopefully not more then 10) we will
> definitely need the biarch AMD64 until all of the applications
> that people need will have migrated and the 32bit apps that people
> use will wither.

However, this is not a reason to keep pure64 out of the archive now.
When Debian is ready to support biarch, then we can always transition.
I don't think that transition will be complex.

-- John