locale problems (was RE: defintion of COUNTRY)

>To come to the technical point, the locale system is buggy because zh_CN
>reffers to "simplified Chinese" and zh_TW to "traditionnal
Chinese", which
>in
>reality have little to do with countries. It is an historical error in
Unix.

>It would be nice if the installer could display "Traditionnal Chinese"
and>

>"Simplified Chinese". I think that the RH installer does this (although
I a>m

>not sure).
>
>Why not ask the Chinese their point of view.
>
>They should be able to decide whether they prefer a reference to
>China/Hong-Kong/Taiwan or to their glyph system (Trad/Simpl).
>
>Cheers,
>Jean-Michel

The 'locale modifiers' exist for just such a situation;
eg,

zh@traditional, zh@simplified
You can add a modifier to a locale name with '@modifier';
if there are multiple modifiers use commas.

For the "Brazilian guy in Portugal" case referred to before,
this is where LC_* come in; you would set
LC_MESSAGES=pt_BR
LANG=pt_BR
to get Brazilian dialect of Portuguese, and everything else
LC_MONETARY=pt
etc.

Regards,
Alastair