Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

Marc Haber wrote:

> On 01 May 2004 16:29:09 -0700, tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> wrote:
>>Francesco Paolo Lovergine <frankie@debian.org> writes:
>>> Yes, and when next-generation processors will require loading firmwares
>>> to work, we would put them in non-free and kernels and libc in contrib.
>>> At that time Debian (aka main) will become just a collection of software
>>> as in the first days of GNU. Surely not a Universal OS...
>>
>>If the hardware designers sufficiently screw us--but why do we think
>>they will?
>
> Because all hardware sucks, and we have had that situation multiple
> times before? Nvidia first and almost all recent graphics chips,
> software modems, software audio, GDI printers.
OK.  In that case, does it mean that the Debian project should
1. Claim that the Debian system is 100% Free Software while including
non-free software?
2. Abandon the attempt to make an OS which is 100% Free Software?
3. Declare that making an OS which is 100% Free Software is the goal, and
state that it has not been achieved due to obnoxious hardware vendors?

OK, that was all rhetorical; obviously I'm in favor of (3).