Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On 01 May 2004 16:29:09 -0700, tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
wrote:
>Francesco Paolo Lovergine <frankie@debian.org> writes:
>> Yes, and when next-generation processors will require loading firmwares
>> to work, we would put them in non-free and kernels and libc in contrib.
>> At that time Debian (aka main) will become just a collection of software
>> as in the first days of GNU. Surely not a Universal OS...
>
>If the hardware designers sufficiently screw us--but why do we think
>they will?

Because all hardware sucks, and we have had that situation multiple
times before? Nvidia first and almost all recent graphics chips,
software modems, software audio, GDI printers.

Geiz ist geil.

Greetings
Marc