Re: Definition of COUNTRY (Was: Resignation)

Quoting Adam Majer (adamm@galacticasoftware.com):

> Indeed. The word "country" needs to be replaced by "locale" or similar.
> It might be best to drop the word country in to avoid any "international
> incidents". For example, Canada has two locales, English and French. You
> don't say,
>
> Choose your country:
>  * English Canada
>  * French Canada

Please please please have a real look on how Debian Installer works
before throwing ideas in the wild, if possible.

The above case is perfectly dealt with by d-i. English speaking
Canadians will choose "English (other countries)" at first screen,
then "Canada" at second screen (which will then list all countries for
which a valid en_XX locale exists). French-speaking Canadians will
choose "French (Canada)" at first screen and will indeed never see the
second screen.

Same for Dutch/French/German speaking people in Belgium,
German/French/Italian speaking people in Switzerland and so on.....

The "country" choice is not only intended for choosing a
locale. Anyway, even in such case, the d-i team tries to use
understandable terms as much as possible and locale isn't one for Bob
Users...:-)

The use of the word "country" is currently debated. I considered the
case closed for the main countrychooser screen. The main menu entry
still seems to be a problem and is dealt with.