Re: Mass bug filing: Cryptographic protection against modification

Matthew Garrett schrieb:
> The alternative to distributing a copy of the GPL in base-files would be
> to distribute a copy of it in every package that contains code under the
> GPL.

I fail to see how this would help.

"We promise that the Debian system and all its components
will be free according to these guidelines."

"Every package" is a component of Debian.
GPL would be part of this component.
This part could not be changed.

Is a component changeable if a part cannot be changed?
According to what Debian thinks about the GFDL, it is not.

AFAICS, GPL inclusion would render any package non-free.

Of course, this does lead to stupid consequences (AKA suicide).
It's just an example that the editorial changes where stupid,
because they do lead to such consequences.

The opinion that GPL as a license doesn't make a component
unfree seems to be settled on the old version of the SC
that demanded only software to be free.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
                Eike