Re: Resignation

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 04:27:39PM +0200, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > The name people are asking to have listed in the Debian installer is
> > "Taiwan".  Please explain how this is a politically-charged name.

> Taïwan is not part of the United-Nations for historical reasons, since China
> took the place of its reprentatives in the United-Nations. Taïwan is not a
> recognized state. The Taïwanese flag does not have international recognition.

> For example, you will hardly find a single legal Taïwan ambassy in the world.

So?  The question was not whether Taiwan should be recognized as a
sovereign nation.  There are lots of locations listed in d-i that are
not countries, notwithstanding the current (buggy, IMHO) request to
"choose a country".  I don't think there's any controversy about having
Taiwan *listed* in the installer; there are obviously differences
between Taiwan and mainland China (e.g., use of traditional vs.
simplified Chinese) that must be acknowledged if the software is to be
useful to our users in that region.

The question was, why is calling Taiwan "Taiwan" controversial?  Even
those objecting to the supposed bias have talked about "working towards
the independence of Taiwan", not "working towards the independence of
Taiwan, Province of China".

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer