On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:08:22AM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> Sorry for my bad english, but that's exactly my point of view: not all
> software can be truly free without a free hardware.
> What's next step?

If that's your belief...

Defining what you mean by "free hardware" is probably the first step.
Hardware can't be [physically] copied in the same manner as software,
and generaly has different intellectual property issues than software.

Possible avenues..

[*] Begin working on mechanims to make copying hardware easier for
individuals.  (I'd suggest starting with approaches like colorforth.com
on the layout end and building vacuum chambers for ion beam epitaxy on
the production end.)  Anything along this line is...  likely to take
quite a long time to get anywhere significant.

[*] Try classifying most major commercial hardware projects based on
your definition of "freeness".

[*] Talk to RMS -- I'm sure he has some ideas, though I don't have a
clue what they are.

Anyways, for now at least, this is largely outside the scope of Debian
(though, looking at the social contract, the most recent editorial
changes managed to remove the introductory paragraph which had as its
first sentence "The Debian Project is an association of individuals who
have made common cause to create a free operating system." -- and our
web site looks like it's never had that paragraph).

--
Raul