Re: Mass bug filing: Cryptographic protection against modification

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 08:11:03PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Consider the hypothetical case of a piece of firmware for a peripheral
> device that is protected by a cryptographic signature such that the
> device will reject anything that is not signed using a specific key.

This isn't so hypothetical.  I ran into problems trying to install an
"unsanctioned" mini-pci wireless card in an IBM T30, only to find that
the BIOS refused to allow me to boot into an operating system until the
card was removed.  I was not a happy camper.  If IBM is willing to do
this at the BIOS level, what's to say that a video card manufacturer
isn't willing to do this for their MPEG/2 encoder (loadable) firmware?

Anyway, it sucks and it very non-free.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/