Re: Texinfo vs man (was: Re: Debian GNU/Linux Reference Card under construction)

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 10:18:14AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> for both simple and more fleshy documentation.  With man, more
> information easily gets in the way, that's why man pages are usually
> terse, and terse man pages are often considered to be better.  Info
> solves the need for being terse.  More information is not a problem
> like it is with man.

More information _is_ a problem when you need a quick and terse summary
instead of tutorial and need it with minimal fuss.  Saying "oh, but
you don't really want that, you will be much better off with walking
a bunch of hypertext links and we have so much more to say" is only
going to annoy - the need is real and it's a user requirement, not
a program limitation.

Tutorials have their place; so do reference cards.  Mixing those is
not a good idea.