Re: reality check

* Wouter Verhelst [Mon, 03 May 2004 01:19:48 +0200]:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 09:15:01AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 May 2004 04:03, William Ballard <40414.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
> > > software is sort of around Debian and RMS doesn't really like Debian
> > > very much anyway (he likes that little distro the little country near
> > > Spain puts out).

> > Which distro?  Which country, Portugal?  Morocco?  Gibraltar?

> Andorra?

  It's not a little country but a Spanish region/state called
  Extremadura. The distro is called Linex, and is based on Debian.

  About Stallman's preferences:

  From <http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=260>:

    RMS: When I recommend a GNU/Linux distribution, I choose based on
    ethical considerations. Today I would recommend GNU/LinEx, the
    distribution prepared by the government of Extremadura, because
    that's the only installable distribution that consists entirely of
    free software. If I knew of more than one such distribution, I would
    choose between them based on practical considerations.

  Update to the interview (appears as a footnote in the article):

    1 RMS provided us with this update on GNU/LinEx: The developers told
      me that GNU/LinEx included only free software, but after this
      interview was published, people from GNU Spain and others have
      checked it and found non-free programs in it. I therefore cannot
      recommend GNU/LinEx at present. I hope that this problem will be
      corrected. Meanwhile, once again there is no installable GNU/Linux
      distribution that we can endorse; all of them include or recommend
      non-free software.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
                -- J.K. Galbraith