Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:17:37PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:
>>
>> > That doesn't matter. To date, the policy has always been that a package
>> > must go in contrib if it has a dependency on something in non-free
>> > which has no *current* free implementation.
>>
>> Yes, that's right, but this refers to dependencies in the formal
>> sense, if I am not mistaken.
>
> You are mistaken. It also applies if a package needs a piece of software
> which isn't distributable by Debian, not even in non-free (for a
> concrete example, see the java packages that can't be compiled by free
> compilers)

But it doesn't apply if only *part of* a package needs non-free software.
In the case of the monolithic kernel package, this would be true if any
individual driver needed non-free firmware.  (Well, except for some
genuinely essential drivers, I suppose.)