Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

Hi,

On 29 Apr 2004, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> And so the question is "why can I not modify these bits?"  and the
> answer is: the author refuses to permit me access to the source and
> restricts my copying of the bits.

I fully agree: the firmware is a evil, proprietary code. But it is always
true: the fact that you load it on startup in the remote hardware, or the
fact that it already exists in ROM, doesn't change anything. The problem
is then, considering that we provide open drivers for proprietary hardware
and proprietary firmware [ROM], where is the limit ? In this view, all
drivers should be in [contrib], because they require propietary software
[firmware] to work. But drivers aren't in [contrib], because we consider
that there is a specific exception with hardware/firmware. Not making such
exception for distributing firmwares is then not logical, IMHO.