On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 22:50, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > Debian distributes a huge amount of non-free software in non-free. It is
> "Huge"?  Really?

See my count later (unfortunately because of the aforementioned broken
mailer, I can't find the thread at the moment) -- it is 1GB of
uncompressed data, and that's just for one architecture, in
unstable/non-free. I would call a gigabyte "huge", but then I remember
the days of < 1MB of RAM.

> > not "part of Debian", but that's just a convenient fiction so some
> > people can sleep better at night.
> Well, it's also a way of telling the difference.  :-)  As well as a way of
> making sure that the core system does not *depend* on non-free software.
> Other ways are certainly possible.

Yes. Unfortunately, since other distributions don't do this, I can't go
through and easily compile a number for them. :(

> > Florian only claimed that Debian
> > distributes the largest chunk of non-free software, and we definitely
> > do. :/
> Out of distributors of things in .deb form only, I assume?

Definitely out of those. But I would be more surprised than not to find
that Mandrake and Fedora distribute more non-free software than us,
either on a per-program or per-megabyte count. SuSE and Red Hat, much
less surprised (but they work with a lot of proprietary vendors
directly). After counting I am less sure than I was when I made that
assertion.

Again, if someone wants to take the time to go through these other
distributions and actually count up non-free bits, I would love hard
numbers on those.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>