Re: /media for sarge?

* Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [040428 15:47]:
> I sympathize with the problem being difficult.  Where are the issues
> discussed?  At the very least is it possible to document manual steps
> needed in order to properly upgrade a system?

I think manual steps should be documented, too. But there simple is
nothing one can do beyond that.

> (I still have my youthful enthusiasm that such problems have solutions.)

An upgrade is supposed to keep systems working. Wildly moving things
around *will* break things, no matter how sofisticated you do it.

Besides for example removing /floppy would IMHO violate the old FHS, as this
stated "Software must never create or require special files or
subdirectories in the root directory." and did not list /floppy.

Thus if we removed /floppy, we kid of require it to be there in the
sense that we require that when it is not nothing else is there. Thus
an adminstrator could place things there and should be able to be sure
we do not disturb his data there.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.