Re: Menu files in /usr/lib/menu violate FHS

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:17:19PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> was heard to say:
> * Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> [2002-12-17 20:28]:
> > I plan to upload a new menu package that support menu files in both
> > /usr/share/menu and /usr/lib/menu as a transitionnal measure.
>
>  I was wondering why this hasn't happend yet....
>
>  And I discussed with a fellow developer and he raised some interesting
> concerns wrt/ that:
>
>  Putting the menu files into /usr/share would make files in /usr/share
> depend on stuff in architecture directories. The purpose of /usr/share
> is that it is shareable amongst different machines. If you use such a
> setup an update-menus on a machine that doesn't have the package
> installed would create a menu entry that simply doesn't work.

  Don't menu files say what package they belong to for exactly this
reason?  For instance:

?package(gnomemeeting):needs="X11" section="Apps/Net"\
title="GnomeMeeting"\
command="/usr/bin/gnomemeeting"

  I've never tested it, but I thought that update-menus was supposed to
ignore menu files corresponding to nonexistant packages.

  Daniel

|             "We've got nothing to fear but the stuff that we're             |
|              afraid of!" -- Fluble                                          |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/