Re: /media for sarge?

* Colin Watson [Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:23:31 +0100]:

> > base-files 3.0.14 in sid, but I can't find /media,/srv or
> > /usr/local/share/man on my system.

> It appears to be created only on an initial install. (I don't know why.)

  It's the maintainer's (Santiago Vila) opinion that base-files should
  behave like that. See #242192 for a little discussion and this excerpt
  from /usr/share/doc/base-files/FAQ:

    Q. I upgraded from woody to sarge. Should my system be FHS-compliant now?

    A. Achieving FHS compliance by upgrading would be tricky and prone to
    error in certain cases, so it is not a goal of base-files, nor it is
    planned to be. By default, some "mandatory" directories (like /opt,
    /srv or /media) are only created in the first install (performed by
    debootstrap), to keep the code as simple as possible, follow the
    principle of least surprise on upgrades, and also to give people the
    freedom to remove those directories without them being created again
    when base-files is upgraded. Therefore, if you are running any sort of
    compliance tests, you should do it on newly installed systems only.

--
Adeodato Simó (a.k.a. thibaut)
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | IM: my_dato [jabber.org] | PK: DA6AE621

The most common form of marriage proposal: "YOU'RE WHAT!?"