The new Social Contract and releasing Sarge

[ note: resent due to typo in debian-devel adress. The original went to
  -vote and -release. Please reply to the original to not break
  threading. ]

[ Please respect the Mail-Followup-To header, and reply to -vote. I will
inform debian-devel and debian-release regularly with updates and new
arguments in a concise and hopefully balanced way ]

Dear developers,

As was seen in another thread[1], the recent change to the Social Contract
also influences the release-policy of Sarge.

I see a lot of discussion about the Social Contract change, people are
calling for revote, there are accusations towards both sides. In any
case, things are quite subtle and not black/white, and some people think
there was insufficient information and inadequate discussion highlighting
all sides of the story.

But, as you might have noticed, the rage on debian-devel did _not_ start
when the result of the vote was announced. Rather, it was started
because of the implications Anthony Towns drew of the result of the
vote. I believe, and my talks with numerous DD's have stengthen me in my
belief, that many developers believed that the policy on ignoring
certain problems in Sarge (the sarge-ignore policy) was a practical
decision for the sake of releasing Sarge in the forseeable future. Those
who thought that the old SC basically said the same as it does now, did
for the most part excuse the RM's decision on this: it was not
practically viable to f.e. move GFDL-docs to non-free before Sarge was
released.

It now turns out that Anthony Towns based his sarge-ignore policy on his
reading of the Social Contract. I think quite some DD's would like to
release Sarge soon, even though it might still have some problems. This
wish is mostly pragmatic:

If Sarge, which is already long overdue, is to be released fully conform
the SC, a lot of extra work would still need to happen, amongst
others the d-i support for non-free. Stalling the release also has a
very negative impact on d-i itself[2][3], and people are going to try to
get in a lot of new upstream stuff, etc etc, while currently, Sarge is
well on its way to be released relatively soon.

Also note the situation of woody, which doesn't conform to the new
(reading of the old, according to some) SC either. Stopping to
distribute it would not be in the interest of our users - it would also
mean stopping security support.

I therefore propose a GR which explicitely excuses Sarge from some
issues, something that previously was already done by the Release
Manager on his own. There are basicaly two approaches to this, one is to
amend the Social Contract to explicitely say so, the other is to merely
pass a GR excusing Sarge from the SC. Please see
http://www.wolffelaar.nl/~jeroen/gr/release_sarge_gr.txt (included
below) for a current draft of this GR. I want to include concisely and
to the point the arguments for each side of the case on the GR itself,
so that voters can make a well-informed decision even if they do not
wish to follow this whole discussion. I would like to get the mentioned
text integral on the ballot for the advantage of all voters, also those
who wish to not fully follow the discussion. I therefore promise to
include any argument in the document if it gets at least 3 DD's
seconding it (unless my promise is abused, to my own descretion), or
when I myself am convinced it is a valid argument.

Note that I also added two options, A and B, which partly or fully revert the
decision made in the last GR. While I didn't intially want to put those
options on the draft ballot, I've still done so because of popular demand, and
they would have been added anyway otherwise.

The ballot is now quite full, once it is time for seconds (not yet, let's
first discuss), maybe some options will fail to get five seconds, so they are
dropped. If all get enough seconds, well, this is what the voting system is
designed to handle: a very broad spectrum of opinions, and still a good method
to determine the best option for everyone.

Procedural note: Since I'm not a Debian Developer, I guess some Debian
Developer would in addition need to officially propose any of the options.

W.r.t. Steve Langasek's proposal, it is quite close, but not the same as
the option C figurating in this mail. It is about either revert the SC
temporarily, also with fixed deadline (Steve's variant), or note in the
SC itself that it will only apply from a later date.

The actual text of the current draft:

This draft lists 6 options, ranging from completely going back to the previous
version, to keeping the current one and applying it to Sarge, with some
gradational-option in between: