Re: The new Social Contract and releasing Sarge

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:20:53AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

> But, as you might have noticed, the rage on debian-devel did _not_ start
> when the result of the vote was announced. Rather, it was started
> because of the implications Anthony Towns drew of the result of the
> vote. I believe, and my talks with numerous DD's have stengthen me in my
> belief, that many developers believed that the policy on ignoring
> certain problems in Sarge (the sarge-ignore policy) was a practical
> decision for the sake of releasing Sarge in the forseeable future. Those
> who thought that the old SC basically said the same as it does now, did
> for the most part excuse the RM's decision on this: it was not
> practically viable to f.e. move GFDL-docs to non-free before Sarge was
> released.

In many cases there was more than enough time to do something about
them.  A search of the BTS for the sarge-ignore tag shows that most (all
but 2) listed bug reports are over 200 days old, more than enough time
to do something about them.  Granted this is but a cursory glance at
these tickets.

> If Sarge, which is already long overdue, is to be released fully conform
> the SC, a lot of extra work would still need to happen,

A good deal of which should have already been done regardless of the
sarge-ignore tag.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar