Re: The unrealistic release update

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 06:23:41PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 12:46, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:33:59AM +0100, J.D. Thomas Hood wrote:
> > >
> > > It would be much better if you [...] helped to get the release out.
>
> > It's simply frustrating if you think that the overall way the release
> > is planned will badly fail, and if you work on a detail here or there,
> > it doesn't has a significant an influence on the whole release.
>
> Even if the release doesn't happen your work doesn't go to waste --
> it improves the quality of unstable and testing.  Stay tuned, though:

unstable and testing are nice for hackers [1].

But they both are unusable for both an "it should run without problems"
desktop system for a friend and for serious production environments.

In my very personal opinion, at least one release per year of the
quality Debian is known for is required for Debian to continue to be
usable in non-hacker environments.

It will be a hell to upgrade all those Debian 3.0 plus many backports
systems to Debian 3.1, and with the currrent release schedule, I'd
expect problems even with regular Debian 3.0 -> Debian 3.1 updates due
to the lack of time to test the complete set of packages with the very
short actual freeze.

These are my personal views. They are relevant for me when e.g.
considering which distribution to recommend to other people or whether
I'd like to rejoin Debian. If Debian evolves in different directions
than I'd like that's only my personal unluckiness.

> we may see changes to release management as a result of the "Social
> Contract GR's Affect on sarge" flamewar.

According to your RM, it might cause a delay of more than half a year.
This is nothing that sounds in any respect positive...

cu
Adrian

[1] "hackers" is not meant negative, it's a short form for "someone who
    wants to know the internals of his system"

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed