The unrealistic release update

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:40:22PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> d-i beta5 (fourth week of May):
>
>   * The installer should work well on all release candidate
>     architectures, and should be almost fully debugged.
>
>   * Once we've had enough installation reports to know that this beta is
>     OK, we'll start the formal freeze. Any absolutely necessary changes
>     are likely to take place via testing-proposed-updates.
>
>   * The security team will have a couple of weeks after beta5 to catch
>     up with security advisories.
>
> If necessary, d-i final:
>
>   * Minor and necessary changes from d-i beta5.
>
>   * Release sarge after a couple of days of final testing.

After all discusions, I still consider a few days or a month plus a few
days for the actual freeze _much_ too short and I predict you'll either
miss this release date by several months, or Debian 3.1 will be of
significant lower quality than previous releases of Debian because there
wasn't enough time to test the complete set of packages in Debian 3.1.

Perhaps I'm right, perhaps I'm wrong - the future will show.

I've unsubscribed from all Debian lists and except for some activity in
the BTS caused by both using Debian and maintaining some backports I'll
be quiet until Debian 3.1 is released and when I'll check whether my
predictions were right or wrong.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.