On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:52:52PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Where are you quoted the words "preferred form for modification" from?
> I can't find them anywhere in the Social Contract or the DFSG.

I don't think we have the source for those fonts, by *any* useful definition
of the word "source".  (I'm not entirely sure, since I don't program
fonts, but I doubt the final TTFs or whatever are actually the source
form to the people who created it.)

I think the question here isn't how we define "source", but whether or not
we expect source at all for fonts, images, etc.

Here's a simple case:

 http://zewt.org/~glenn/D5.png

This image was created in Photoshop.  The mouth is spline-based; if I
edit the image, I use the original PSD and edit the control points.  The
shadow around the outside edge is a filter; if I want to adjust it, I
change the filter parameters.  I'd never consider editing the final PNG.
The source for that image is the PSD.  I think any definition of "source"
which disagrees is flawed.  (It's less obvious if I took the generated
image and then edited it manually; I'm using this example specifically to
avoid that complication for the moment.)

If that image was included in Debian, should Debian expect the PSD source
as well?  Why or why not?  (I don't have an answer.)

--
Glenn Maynard