@ 26/04/2004 17:37 : wrote Glenn Maynard :
 I agree that fonts are tricky. I'm not sure how to reconcile the fact
 that fonts contain programs and we want source for programs[1], with
 the practical fact that we may never in the foreseeable future have
 high- quality fonts meeting that criteria. It's a pragmatism vs.
 principles boundary that I, at least, am having difficulty finding.

The pragmatism vs. principles boundary does not exist, really. You must be totally in one of the sides, or else you are in none of them. They are completely disjoint, IMHO at least. In our case, we have the following options:

1. release *as things are now*. (pragmatism)
2. do not release *till things are fixed* (principles)
3. do not release until (a) we define which are our principles *and* (b) fix everything to fit "a" (principles).

If we change things a little bit and release it anyway, it will be "1" above, and I, for one, will become very disappointed.

 [1] while it may be debatable whether DFSG#2 applies to PNGs, I
 believe it clearly and unambiguously applies to hinted fonts

--
br,M